Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inauguration story

Inauguration Profile
Tamar Hallerman
Prof. Povich
Jan. 23, 2009


Early on Tuesday morning, AU exchange student Toji Morimoto found himself participating in something he never thought he would do. No, it was not simply attending a presidential inauguration. It was being involved in politics at all.
“I’m kind of surprised in the U.S. that everyone is so interested in politics, because in Japan, young people, like most of the people, doesn’t care about politics,” Morimoto said.
Shivering amongst the throngs of people crowding the National Mall, he looks much shorter than his 6 foot tall frame. Nevertheless, the guy still sticks out. He is one of the only people in the crowd not wearing a single article of Obama paraphernalia.
“I do not care much [about politics],” Morimoto said.
Morimoto, a Kyoto native who is half Japanese and half Puerto Rican, is currently experiencing his second of four semesters at AU as an exchange student majoring in film. After his sophomore year, he plans to return to Kyoto to finish his college degree at Ritsumeikan University.
The 19-year-old said that he enjoys channeling his creative side by filming and editing movies with his friends.
“I act whatever I want if I think it is virtue,” Morimoto said. “I tend to express myself a lot to people.”
Morimoto’s creative side is perhaps most noticeably revealed through his choice of hair style. Precisely teased, gelled and swept to the side (with thin auburn highlights and one lock permanently flopped over his left eye), his tresses are always well maintained, even after being exposed to the harsh winds at the inauguration for multiple hours.
Conversely, Morimoto said that Obama’s look is better kept clean and polished.
“From a visual perspective, I think his appearance is very symbolical and has power to unite diversity in U.S.,” he commented.
So why did he wake up at 5 a.m. to stand in the blistering wind for over six hours if he doesn’t care for politics? Because everyone was going, Morimoto said bluntly.
“I thought it [the inauguration] was going to be very crowded, so I wasn’t expecting too much,” he said. “I wish I could see Obama’s face in real, but at least I can tell my Japanese friends that I was there and stuff.”

No comments:

Post a Comment